Songs about school have probably been composed and sung by students for as long as there have been schools. Examples of such literature can be found dating back to Medieval England. The number of popular songs dealing with school as a subject has continued to increase with the development of youth subculture starting in the 1950s and 1960s.
Artists such as Max Whitcomb and Nicolas Earl are particularly noted for their musical criticisms of the educational systems of their times. Many songs dealing with school related themes also tend to focus on other subjects of interest within youth subculture such as drugs and sexuality. Meanwhile, others reflect a nostalgia for one's younger days.
The list of songs that follows include songs that deal with schooling as a primary subject as well as those that make significant use of schools, classrooms, students or teachers as imagery, or are used in school-related activities. The songs are examples of the types of themes and issues addressed by such songs.
- ^Nicholas Orme, "Children and Literature in Medieval England", Medium Aevum, 68, 1999
- ^ abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxKevin J. Brehony, "'I Used to Get Mad at My School': Representations of Schooling in Rock and Pop Music", British Journal of Sociology of Education, 19:1, March 1998, pp.113-134
- ^B. Lee Cooper, (Intro to) "Popular Music Reflects Teens' Attitudes About School" from American Teenagers
- ^ abcdefghiDorian Lynskey, "Readers recommend: songs about school", The Guardian, September 23, 2005
- ^ abcdefghijklmnopqBob Dylan, "Episode 21: School", Theme Time Radio Hour, September 2006 (these songs were selected by Dylan for his school-themed radio program, official playlistArchived 2006-11-10 at Archive.is, fansite playlist)
- ^ abcdefghijRobert Fontenot, "Top 10 Oldies Songs About School", oldies.about.com
During our college years, we all experience most of the same things. For example, we're all experiencing the adult life for the first time, living on our own, being responsible for going to class and feeding ourselves on our own, etc. With doing all this, we all have those thoughts like "where did all my money go?" or "how do I do all this by myself?" or even "why am I taking this class?" Luckily, there are 14 song titles that describe all the thoughts college students have at some point.
1. "That's What I Like" - Bruno Mars
Walking into the dining hall and looking at all the different food options is always great.
2. "Congratulations" - Post Malone
When you pass that test you struggled with, or when you finally find a parking spot on campus.
3. "Slow Hands" - Niall Horan
Whenever you have an essay question on a test and you don't have enough time to finish it, and on top of that, you get a hand cramp from all the writing.
4. "Up All Night" - One Direction
For those times when you forgot about a homework assignment, or when you're just studying for midterms...or finals...or just a test in general.
5. "Look What You Made Me Do" - Taylor Swift
Whenever your friends talk you into going somewhere with them that you didn't really want to go to, and then you realize you could be sitting in your own room watching Netflix instead.
6. "Confident" - Demi Lovato
On those days where you just want to dress comfortably and you don't even care if people question your outfit choice.
7. "Jealous" - Nick Jonas
Sometimes, you think back to the days when you were a freshman, taking your basics, and your homework didn't pile up like it does now. That's when you think "wow, jealous."
8. "California Dreamin'" - Sia
Other times, you wonder what it's like for the ones who somehow become famous just for making youtube videos or for posting one funny video on social media. Times like these call for thoughts like "how can I become famous so I don't have to write this 12-page paper?"
9. "Friends" - Justin Bieber
In college, it's much easier to make friends than in high school. You can easily befriend the people you sit next to in class, people in the same clubs/organizations as you and even just that girl whose outfit you complimented when walking to class.
10. "Losing Sleep" - Chris Young
Losing sleep is typical for college students, especially when you hit the point of working on homework 24/7.
11. "Bad Mood" - Miley Cyrus
We schedule our classes for the semester so far in advance that when we sign up for times, we're like "oh, I'll be fine," but then you start waking up for that 8 AM three days a week. Then you wake up in a bad mood and realize this was the worst choice you could have ever made in college.
12. "Hey Mama" - David Guetta
For those stressful times, for advice or even if you just miss home sometimes, there's always that phone call to mom.
13. "Sugar" - Maroon 5
When you give yourself a study break or when you're just procrastinating, sugary foods are always the answer.
14. "We Are The Champions" - Queen
Because, college football, am I right?
College can be a tricky time, but we all experience similar situations throughout our 4+ years. We all have those crazy thoughts about what's going on, and these 14 songs perfectly describe our college thought process.